Baker's Restaurant was originally a small country store called the Milk Bar which had about 10 stools at the counter and a couple of tables. In 1958, The Milk Bar was purchased by Tom and Sallie Baker where they served breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as bread, milk and soda. Soon all the hard work and devotion paid off for Tom and Sallie and they had to add to the restaurant to accommodate the growing number of locals that frequented the Milk Bar. A second addition was added in 1968 and at this time Sallie changed the name to Baker's Restaurant which has become one of Cecil County's landmarks.
In 1972, Tom and Sallie sold the restaurant to their son and daughter-in-law, Tucker and Barbara Matthews who became the second generation to own the restaurant. After 21 years, the Matthews sold the restaurant to their son Robert, who along with his wife Wendy, have continued the family tradition of offering home style cooked meals at reasonable prices to the many local patrons who dine there each night. Now many of the regulars are customers who came with their Grandparents as a child. In fact, we like to say that eating at Baker's is like Sunday dinner at Grandma's, six days a week.
The restaurant has a seating capacity of 200 plus with a seasonal patio and full service bar. Check out our events calendar for more information about our live music and other events.